Located on the Connecticut College campus, the Williams School environment and curriculum are designed to prepare students for higher education. It serves middle school and high school grade levels and places an emphasis on study skills. All students are required to take at least one year of Latin. Originally a girls' school located in what is now the G.A. 10 courthouse on Broad Street, the school moved to its present site in 1954 and became co-educational in 1971. A 25-member board of trustees oversees the school's policies and finances.