1. What's The Weather? Warmer temperatures (a high of 49 degrees) and showers on Monday should help melt the snow and freezing rain from the weekend but the respite will only be brief. Monday night the temperature could drop to 15 degrees, heralding more frigid weather to come. By Friday, we could see snow again.
Here's what Weather.com is predicting for the rest of the week:
- Tuesday, January 7: Partly cloudy, windy and cold. High temperature 16 degrees, low temperature 10 degrees, with a 10 percent chance of snow.
- Wednesday, January 8: Mostly sunny, high temperature 26 degrees, overnight low 19 degrees, and a 10 percent chance of precipitation.
- Thursday, January 9: Mostly cloudy, high temperature 35 degrees, low temperature 28 degrees, with a 10 percent chance of precipitation.
- Friday, January 10: There's a 30 percent chance of precipitation, rain or possibly snow. High temperature 40 degrees, low temperature 32 degrees.
3. Whalers Vs. Lancers (and it's not a sports event!). The Hygienic Art Gallery presents its annual show featuring art by students from New London and from Waterford. An artists reception will be held Thursday, January 9, from 6 to 9 p.m. if you'd like to meet the next generation of artists emerging from our local schools.
4. Municipal Meetings in New London. Here's the calendar of meetings happening this week. Find more details and agendas online. All meetings take place at New London City Hall unless otherwise noted:
- Monday, January 6: Public Works Committee meets at 5:15 p.m.; City Council Administrative Committee meets at 6:15 p.m.; City Council meets at 7 p.m.
- Tuesday, January 7: Police Community Relations Committee meets at 6:3 p.m. at 120 Broad Street, New London.
- Wednesday, January 8: Economic Development Commission meets at 4:30 p.m.; Historic District Commission and Design Review Board meets at 5:30 p.m. at 111 Union Street, New London; Parks and Recreation Commission meets at 6:30 p.m. at the Senior Center Library.
- Thursday, January 9: Ledge Light Health District Board of Directors meets at 5:30 p.m. at Ledge Light Health District offices; Citizens Advisory Committee meets at 111 Union Street, New London, at 6 p.m.; Conservation Commission meets at 7 p.m. at the Stanton Building Conference Room.