1. What's The Weather? Be careful during Tuesday's morning commute. The National Weather Service has issued a weather statement warning people that as temperatures drop below freezing following Monday's warmer temperatures melting last week's snow, black ice is likely on untreated side roads and sidewalks especially. Here's what Weather.com is predicting for the week.
- Tuesday: Cold but dry. Partly cloudy with a high of 21 degrees and a low of 12 degrees.
- Wednesday: There's a 30 percent chance of snow, with morning snow showers expected. The high temperature won't top 27 degrees, the overnight low, 13 degrees.
- Thursday: Mostly sunny with a high of 30 degrees and an overnight low of 27 degrees.
- Friday: Cloudy but a tad warmer with a high of 37 degrees and a low of 29 degrees. There's just a 10 percent chance of precipitation.
- On Tuesday morning, Governor Dannel P. Malloy and Department of Consumer Protection Commissioner William M. Rubenstein will hold a news conference in West Haven to make an announcement regarding medical marijuana.
- On Tuesday evening, President Obama will give his State of the Union Address.
- Steampunk, rockabilly, and mod. Those are the fashions you'll find at Fashion in the Ballroom, the Hygienic's own version of fashion week on Friday at the Crocker House Ballroom highlights talented Connecticut fashion designers.
- Photographers participating in the Hygienic's Photo-Genic exhibition must turn their photos in Jan. 29 at the Telegraph or at the Hygienic. The exhibition opens Friday, Jan. 31 and runs through Feb. 9 at the Hygienic Annex (13 Golden Street).
- The 6th Mayfly Playhouse will once again be challenging playwrights, directors and actors to come up with seven plays, all written, rehearsed and produced in one day. Showtime is 8 p.m. on Sat. Feb. 1 at the Crocker House Ballroom.
- Folk fans will be pleased to know Kathy Mattea is in town playing selections from her latest album, Calling Me Home, at Conn College on Friday. Tickets are $28; Seniors: $25; Students: $14 (reserved seating). For information, email email@example.com, call (860) 439-2787, or visit http://onstage.conncoll.edu.
- The Public Library of New London Board of Trustees meets at the Library at 3:45 p.m. today.
- The Zoning Board of Appeals meets Thursday at 6 p.m. in the Stanton Building Conference Room.
4. Teen scene
- Does New London have talent? You bet it does. And if you're one of the many talented teens living in the area, now's your chance to shine. The 4th annual New London Youth Talent Show is holding auditions this week.
- If you've got a pair of jeans you don't need, there are teens out there that can use them. Stop by Crystal Mall this weekend and make a donation to Jeans for Teens.