High school spring sports competitions are still a couple of weeks away, but CIAC practices begin today.
Coast Guard Academy
The Bears’ baseball team swept its final games in the Gene Cusic Classic in Florida, defeating Drew 13-3 on Monday, Gettysburg 8-5 on Tuesday, and Salem 8-2 on Wednesday; the Bears started their New England games by splitting a pair with Springfield on Saturday, winning the first game 5-4 before losing the second one 2-1 to close the week with a 6-3 record.
The softball team spent a longer time in the Sunshine State, finishing up the Rebel Games and coming home with a 5-5 record. They defeated Mount Union 4-1 before losing to Montclair State 2-0 on Monday, gave up a seven run lead to fall to St. Norbert 8-7 and lose another one to Bridgewater 6-4 on Wednesday, lost to Transylvania 7-4 before sweeping Marietta 4-0 on Friday, and concluded the next day with a 4-3 win over Anderson and 5-4 victory against Rowan.
In interconference sailing meets on Sunday, the Coast Guard placed fourth of 18 teams in one match and seventh of eight in another.
The Mariners’ softball team was less fortunate in its Florida games, dropping six in a row to return to New England with a 1-7 record. The Mariners fell to Albertus Magnus 12-6 and Gettysburg 5-2 on Monday, to Swarthmore 7-2 and Gettysburg 12-0 on Tuesday, and to SUNYIT 4-3 and Norwich 6-5 on Wednesday.
The baseball team improved to 5-5 with a doubleheader win against Newbury, earning 6-3 and 3-0 wins.
The men’s lacrosse team (4-2) lost to Husson 10-9 in overtime on Wednesday before defeating SUNY Canton 12-1 on Sunday.
The Camels’ tennis teams opened their season, with the men starting at 1-3 after a 5-4 win over Rochester on Monday; the Camels were swept 9-0 by Vanguard on Wednesday and Concordia on Friday, with Occidental adding another defeat with a 6-3 result on Sunday.
The women’s team had a winless start, losing to Rochester 5-4 on Monday, Vanguard 6-2 on Wednesday, Concordia 8-1 on Thursday, and Principia 7-2 on Friday.
The men’s lacrosse team (2-1) had a hard-fought 16-15 win against Tufts on Tuesday, then fell 11-4 to Middlebury on Saturday.
The women’s team (1-3) lost to Tufts 11-5 on Tuesday, to Keene State 8-5 on Friday, and to Middlbury 18-3 on Saturday.
The women’s water polo team beat La Verne 12-11 on Monday and Caltech 11-4 on Thursday, but lost to Pomona-Pitzer 13-1 on Tuesday, to Chapman 9-7 on Wednesday, and to Hartwick 14-5 and Brown 19-10 on Saturday.
- Tim Betts: had his first collegiate home run for the Coast Guard in the baseball win over Gettysburg
- Jordan Cook and Aaron Sladyk: each scored three goals in Mitchell’s lacrosse win over SUNY Canton
- Tyler Corcoran: scored the game-winning goal in Connecticut College’s lacrosse win against Tufts
- Hannah Ingerson: hit a three-run home run in the Coast Guard’s softball win against Anderson
- Nicky Jasbon: Connecticut College water polo player, scored four goals in the win against La Verne
- Kristine Kahl: Coast Guard softball pitcher, won her first college game with the Mount Union victory and pitched her first shutout in the game against Marietta
- Chad Sawyer: scored six goals in Connecticut College’s lacrosse win over Tufts
- Tyler Shamas: struck out 10 batters in Mitchell’s wins over Newbury and was named NECC Rookie of the Week