With both a night deposit box and a window stencil of Ireland, this storefront has retained the vestiges of its most prominent former occupants.
The space at 310 State Street is located in the corner of the Dewart Building, an office tower that reaches its centennial next year. The windows include large stencils offering retail and office space within the building, and a previous Fill The Spot column featured the former gallery and salon space next door that is also looking for an occupant.
For 60 years, the address was the home of the Winthrop Bank and Trust Company. The bank opened its "temporary headquarters" in the spot in 1922; it was still there in 1972, when a merger with the Union Trust Company brought the bank the new name of the Winthrop Office of the Union Trust Company. Ten years later, the bank relocated ot the corner of Eugene O'Neill Drive and Governor Winthrop Blvd.
After this move, the site was apparently empty for several years. It occasionally served as the Democratic Party headquarters, and in 1993 there was an application to open a consignment shop at the address. The space finally saw new life in 2004 when Hanafin's Irish Pub made its first appearance there. However, the pub later moved next door and the spot is again vacant.
What does this end of State Street need in this storefront? Let us know in the comments.