1. More gloomy weather today, with overcast skies and an increasing chance of rain later in the day. The temperature peaks at 48 degree and bottoms out at 42 degrees. Sunrise is 7:09 a.m., sunset is 4:20 p.m.
2. The City Council agenda for tonight includes a decision on a contract for a proposed Bates Woods Park cell tower; appropriations for the Office of Department and Planning, New London Police Department, and Department of Public Utilities; and an extension of the permit for the Roadside Grill. The council also has a special meeting at 6:30 p.m. for a presentation on Caulkins Park improvements while the hold a joint meeting at 5:30 p.m. to discuss the cell tower.
3. The New London Public Schools will have psychologists and counselors available today for any children who wish to discuss the tragic mass shooting at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown. These specialists will be available in each school. If you're interested in how you can help Newtown families affected by the shooting, visit this article.
4. Need to make a shopping trip? Check out the Grocery Specials section.
5. Workers discovered a 25-ton Aztec calendar stone in Mexico City on this day in 1790. The stone was first carved in 1479 and depicts 52-year cycles. And no, this isn’t the one that predicts that the world will end in a few days.