Thick white smoke emanating from a home at 166 Willets Avenue prompted neighbors to call New London Fire Department on Monday.
New London Fire Department arrived on the scene at about 1;30 p.m. to find a fire had started in the kitchen when several cast iron pots containing oil ignited. Because the pots were in the oven and not on the stove top, the fire was fairly well-contained, although it did produce a lot of smoke.
The home's one occupant was on the stoop when fire fighters arrived. Fire fighters went in to bring out the occupant's pet dog and extinguish the fire. There was no structural damage, said New London Fire Department Battalion Chief Marc A. Melanson, although there was some smoke damage.
No one was injured. The American Red Cross was on hand to provide assistance to the resident, who is renting the property.