A fire on the roof of the Nathan Hale School was quickly extinguished this morning.
The school at 37 Beech Drive is being renovated to open as a visual and performing arts magnet school. No students were in the building, as they are attending classes at Harbor School during the construction.
Battalion Chief Keith Nichols of the New London Fire Department said the fire broke out at 9:20 a.m. when a plumber installing piping accidentally ignited foam board insulation.
"When we got there they had already extinguished the area," said Nichols. "We just cut out a bigger area to make sure it hadn't spread."
The fire was deemed under control 18 minutes after the call.
Fusco Corporation, a New Haven construction company, is working on the building but Nichols said he believed the plumbing work was being done by a subcontractor. He said the construction foreman estimated $3,000 in damage.
No one was injured in the incident, and the Sub Base FAST team assisted with the call. Nichols said Waterford Ambulance also responded to a call of an unconscious person on Bank Street while firefighters worked at the school.