Domestic Violence Shakes Diners At Mr. G's

A chase around the restaurant was followed by a car theft that led to a police chase around New London. It all ended when the suspect crashed the vehicle into a cement block and police were able to make an arrest.

Jeffrey Evans photo provided by NLPD
Jeffrey Evans photo provided by NLPD
Most of the time, domestic violence happens in the home, behind closed doors. But on January 24, it happened in front of dozens of witnesses at Mr. G's Restaurant in New London. 

New London Police responded to a report of a disturbance at the restaurant at 452 Williams Street at about 7 p.m. Upon arrival, officers learned that Jeffery Evans, 38, had assaulted a woman who had taken out a protective order against him.  

According to police, Evans suggested and made physical motions that made it appear as if he was in possession of a firearm and was threatening to use it. This caused numerous patrons to seek shelter under tables.

Evans chased the woman around the restaurant, knocking over tables and breaking items as he did so. At one point, Evans threw a chair at the woman, missed and struck a patron of the restaurant, causing a minor injury to the man's arm. The scuffle ended when an employee intervened and removed Evans from the establishment.  

After leaving the restaurant, police say Evans stole a running vehicle from a woman who was making a delivery. A short time later Evans and the stolen vehicle were observed by an officer at the Ravi Mart at 268 Bank Street. When officers tried to stop the vehicle, Evans engaged the officers in pursuit.  

The pursuit continued through numerous downtown streets. At one point, police say, Evans was driving the wrong way on Eugene O'Neil Drive. Evans then failed to properly negotiate a right turn onto Gov. Winthrop Boulevard, causing him to strike an occupied unmarked police vehicle that was stopped at the red light.
Evans continued Eastbound on Gov. Winthrop Boulevard down to Ferry Street. He drove through the parking lot of the Cross Sound Ferry, across City Pier, down the Waterfront park and finally struck a large cement block near the railroad crossing at Bank Street connector. It was at that point that police were able to take Evans without incident. No injuries were reported as a result of the motor vehicle pursuit.  

Evans was charged with the following crimes: larceny in the 3rd degree, criminal mischief in the 2nd degree, two counts of breach of peace in the 2nd degree, threatening in the 2nd degree, third degree assault, violation of a protective order, possession of drug paraphernalia, engaging an officer in pursuit, evading responsibility, reckless driving and driving under the influence.
Daniella Ruiz January 26, 2014 at 09:59 AM
wheeee! what a ride! back to the humdrum until Jeff makes BAIL. it must be nice for the woman with the protective order to know she has at least a few days to feeling warm and safe.
Elizabeth Anderson January 26, 2014 at 02:04 PM
Next time you think that domestic violence doesn't affect you, perhaps you'll realize it affects every one of us whether we are in the mall or out eating dinner. Contact Safe Futures to see how you can help victims.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »