1. Warmer temperatures return, as it's a sunny day with a high of 72 degrees. The sun first shows up at 6:52 a.m. and departs at 6:21 p.m.
2. It’s a good day for benefits. For the seventh year in a row, George Holmes holds a drum performance to benefit the . Tickets are $5, and the show runs from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. at the Salvation Army building on Governor Winthrop Boulevard. A little ways across town, and are teaming up for a cookout to benefit the New London Fire Department Burn Foundation. The suggested donation is $10, and the event runs from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m.
3. The candidates for mayor are taking part in the first of several debates today. From 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. at , they’ll give their views on the issues facing New London.
4. Our fuel reports post every Monday and Saturday afternoon. Let us know if there’s a good, cheap station you like to stop at.
5. Ten years ago, President George W. Bush signed an executive order establishing the Department of Homeland Security.