Here's a list of what's closed on New Year's Day:
- Banks: Closed.
- Stock market: Closed.
- City hall: Closed
- State offices: Closed.
- Schools: Closed.
- Library: Closed
- Post Office: Closed; express delivery only.
- Public transportation: Running on a holiday schedule.
Restaurants and liquor stores are open at owners' discretion but many choose to open for New Year's Day business. For many big box stores, New Year's Day is a big sale day, although Toys R Us is closed.
Here's a list of stores that are open January 1 (and their holiday hours):
- Crystal Mall: Open 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. New Year's Eve and New Year's Day
- Stop & Shop: Open 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- CVS: The pharmacy is open 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. New Year's Day. Note: CVS store hours vary depending on the location [store locator].
- Barnes & Noble: Open 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. (hours may vary). [Store Locator]
- Bed Bath and Beyond: Open 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. (some open earlier). [Store Locator]
- Best Buy: Open 10 a.m.- 6 p.m. (some stay open until 9 p.m. Most stores close 7 p.m. on Dec. 31.) [Store Locator]
- Dick’s Sporting Goods: Open 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. [Store Locator]
- Walgreens: 24-hour stores will operate on normal business hours. [Store Locator]
- Walmart: Store hours vary by location, but the 24-hour locations such as the one in Waterford, will operate on normal hours. [Store Locator]
- Macy's: Most stores will remain open during regular business hours on Jan. 1. [Store Locator]
- Sports Authority: 9 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. (some open earlier) [Store Locator]
- Target: Stores close early on New Year’s Eve (8 p.m. or 9 p.m.) but are open as usual New Year's Day. [Store Locator]
Do you know of other establishments that are open or closed? Tell us in the comments below.