Special Olympics Connecticut’s annual fundraising event, the New London Penguin Plunge, is set to take place at Ocean Beach Park. On February 19th, hundreds of people will join together and dash into icy Northeastern waters in an effort to raise money and awareness for Special Olympics Connecticut. Warm hearts will go a long way on this chilly day as participants unite to benefit the thousands of Special Olympics Connecticut athletes.
In 2011, 350 very brave souls plunged into the chilly waters of Ocean Beach Park raising over $70,000 for Special Olympics Connecticut. For 2012, even more people will be able to participate with the addition of the "Chicken Coop" for those who are too chicken to plunge, but still want to be a part of the fun and support a great cause.
The Plunge will be held at Ocean Beach Park and registration begins at 10:00am. In order to participate, each plunger must raise a minimum of $75. Depending on the amount each individual or team raises, they can qualify to receive numerous prizes, including t-shirts, bow ties, gift cards, and more!
Awards will also be given to the following contest winners:
- Rockhopper Awards: Best costume (individual and group)
- Penguin on the Rocks Award: Restaurant or bar that raises the most funds
- Rockin’ Schoolhouse Award: School group that raises the most funds
- Emperor Penguin Award: Individual who raises the most funds
- Emperor Club Award: Group or organization that raises the most funds
- Silver Penguin Award: Oldest penguin to plunge
- Arctic Hero Award: Public safety department that raises the most funds
- Websurfer Award: Individual that raises the most money online
In order to participate, each individual or team must register online at www.soct.org/plunges. Then solicit donations from friends and family and get heated up for this outrageous day! For more information, please contact Jackie Turro at (860) 887-1555 or firstname.lastname@example.org.