Small Business Saturday is on Nov. 24 this year, two days after Thanksgiving. It is a day for everyone to support the small businesses upon which their community thrives, and several New London businesses are offering specials this year.
American Express created the day in 2010 to help small businesses get exposure during the holiday season, when they might be otherwise overlooked. With retailers buzzing around the holidays, it is important to support local small businesses that rely on their neighbors in order to continue prospering and building the local economy in New London.
Last year, 100 million people nationwide participated in Small Business Saturday by shopping at locally owned stores to help boost the economy and their communities.
You can also “like” Small Business Saturday on Facebook by visiting www.facebook.com/shopsmall.
You can see what New London shops have to offer in the New London Patch directory. Several downtown stores have also been promoting specials for Saturday including:
- CONNFetti (10 a.m. to 6 p.m.): Shoppers will receive a credit in the amount of sales tax paid. Credits can be put toward another CONNFetti purchase through Jan. 27, and shoppers will also receive a free gift while supplies last for purchases of $30 or more.
- Flavours of Life (11 a.m. to 6 p.m.): All baskets and housewares are 15 percent off, and the first 25 purchases of the day will receive a free fair trade chocolate bar. Each purchase will earn a chance to win a $50 gift certificate.
- Greenlight Boutique (10 a.m. to 5 p.m.): The first 25 customers to make a purchase of $10 or more will receive a complimentary gift bag of items. Shopping will earn tickets toward door prizes and gift certificates. Snacks and beverages are available, and Tastefully Simple will be at the store to offer tips on holiday entertaining.
- Northern Light Gems (11 a.m. to 5 p.m.): A sliding scale is available with $30 off purchases of $90 or more, $50 off $150 purchases, $75 off $225 purchases, and $165 off $500 purchases. The first 25 customers will receive a free pair of stealing pearl earrings. Invicta watches are 85 percent off, but cannot be combined with the sliding scale promotion.
- Pinc! Boutique (10 a.m. to 5 p.m.): The store is also offering a sliding scale promotion, with five percent off purchases of $25 or more, 10 percent off $75 sales, and 20 percent off $125 sales. Shoppers can also save 20 percent off any little pinc shoreline custom order, although this cannot be combined with the sliding scale offer. The first 20 customers receive "Swag Bags" of samples and coupons.
- Somaly Hay & Co. (10:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.): All store items are 10 to 35 percent off.
- Studio 33 (10 a.m. to 3 p.m.): The store will have refreshments, door prizes, and coupon specials. Jewelry designers Marguerite and Don Langlaid will be in the store from noon until 3 p.m. with ready-made and custom Greek leather bracelets.
Everyone has locally owned businesses in their community, and shopping on Small Business Saturday is the perfect way to give back to the businesses you know and love in your community.
TELL US: What small businesses do you patronize in New London and what makes them great? Share in the comments below.