dominates the week’s picks for upcoming events as chosen by . You can get your first taste of this annual event from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. on Friday, when eight bands play short sets at the at . Donations will go toward the summer concerts at .
The centerpiece of the Hygienic’s annual gala is the Salon des Independants, starting on Saturday. Anyone can drop off a piece between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m., and the opening for the exhibit starts at 8 p.m. There is also a young artist’s version of the Salon on this day at the gallery, with an opening from noon to 4 p.m.; The Screening Room, in which people may submit independent videos for a 4 p.m. to 9 p.m. showing at ; the Rock Fix, where numerous local bands will play from 7 p.m. to midnight at the ; and the Cabaret Extraordinaire, a variety show of acts playing between 7:40 p.m. and midnight at .
A couple of galleries are having events to correspond with the Hygienic XXXIII. Artist Anne Kubitsky is opening a unique two-venue show on Saturday, from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. at both the and . delayed its showing of the film and gives it another shot at 6 p.m. on Saturday. The film goes hand-in-hand with the exhibit of photography by currently at the gallery.
Some places are taking advantage of the Hygienic XXXIII to have a few specials of their own. is having a special dinner menu from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. You can stop into between noon and 7 p.m. to meet artisan Jen Johnson and check out some of the deals on her fused glass jewelry. is open until 8 p.m. and having a one-day sale on hats.
Also happening this week:
- “Mitchell Night,” 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. tonight at the rink at Parade Plaza; free admission and skate rentals for students, discounted prices for faculty, staff, and families. will host a reception for alumni and Friends of Mitchell and kick off a contest where anyone skating at the rink can enter to win a Super Bowl party giveaway
- Winter Film Festival screening of , 7:30 p.m. tonight at the Garde Arts Center; $4
- , 5:30 p.m. on Thursday at the Garde Arts Center
- Chinese New Year Chef’s Table, 6 p.m. on Thursday at ; $55
- Winter Film Festival screening of , 7:30 p.m. on Friday; $4
- Winter Film Festival/Anime Fest screening of , 3 p.m. on Sunday at the Garde Arts Center; $4
- Jazz Trio, 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. on Monday at