1. Another mostly sunny day if a little cooler, with a high temperature of 40 degrees. Showers are likely in the evening with a low of 34 degrees. Sunrise is 7:13 a.m., sunset is 4:24 p.m.
2. Because of the way the holidays fall this year, you can expect that some things aren’t going to be open. Case in point: the Public Library of New London is taking the day off. But you can still go to municipal offices today.
3. Fox’s Pizza Den continues its promotion to give away medium pizzas for free as long as you make a donation toward families affected by the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in Newtown. The effort is only accepting cash donations and is not applicable to delivery orders.
4. The New London sports roundup doesn’t have much to round up today, as student athletes take some time off for the holidays. But this will still post at 5 p.m. today to give a breakdown of the past week’s results and upcoming competitions.
5. The North American Aerospace Defense Command first began tracking Santa Claus on this day in 1955 due to a misprinted advertisement that accidentally gave the number for the Colorado Springs facility. Col. Harry Shoup had the operators report Santa’s location to these callers, and NORAD has been keeping tabs on Santa’s Christmas Eve flight ever since.