1. A windy and overcast day today, with rain in the morning tapering off to afternoon showers and possible overnight flurries. Sunrise is 7:11 a.m. and sunset is 4:22 p.m. The high temperature hits 50 degrees while the low drops to 35 degrees.
2. Hey, it’s not the end of the world just because the sky’s getting dark so early. In fact, the days are going to start lengthening again. The Eastern Connecticut Symphony Chorus welcomes the solstice with a concert at Harkness Chapel tonight. The show starts at 8 p.m. and tickets are $22 for general admission and $20 for students and seniors.
3. All Souls Unitarian Universalist Congregation holds a memorial service tonight in memory of homeless residents who have passed away. This starts at 6 p.m. at the church’s Unity Hall.
4. Add your own event on the New London Patch events calendar by browsing events under the events tab. Click "Add an event" to fill out a form with the necessary information.
5. So the Mayans say the world is ending today, but the Romans just say it’s time to party. The ancient Romans celebrated Divalia, a festival recognizing the shortest day of the year and honoring the goddess Angerona.