1. Sunny and becoming mostly cloudy in the evening, with a high temperature of 41 degrees and a low of 32 degrees. Sunrise is 7:08 a.m., and the evenings are on the rebound toward summer lengths as the sunset time creeps up a minute to 4:20 p.m.
2. Just because it’s cold outside doesn’t mean there isn’t a farmers market for you to check out. Visit Fiddleheads Food Co-op between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. for food vendors, artisans, and music.
3. The traditional Eastern Connecticut Ballet performance of The Nutcracker comes to the Garde Arts Center. The show has a New London theme and 1:30 p.m. shows both today and Sunday, with an additional 7 p.m. show tonight. Tickets are $35 to $45 for adults and $21 to $28 for children.
4. Weekends are always good for music in New London. See which venues are welcoming bands or musical performances and what the cover is in The Sounds of New London, which posts every Friday at 5 p.m.
5. Those who like Esperanto might want to give a nod to Zamenhof Day today. This recognizes the birthday of Ludovic Lazarus Zamenhof, who created Esperanto in an effort to bring people together with a common language.