1. Partly cloudy with winds increasing in the evening and a temperature hovering between 31 degrees and 35 degrees. Sunrise is 7:15 a.m., sunset is 4:29 p.m.
2. Midnight’s a little late for the kids to stay up, and you really shouldn’t be giving them champagne. Enter the Public Library of New London. They’ll have a countdown to the other 12 o’clock, with a clock activity and apple cider toast. This event starts at 11 a.m.
3. Nowhere to go for New Year’s Eve? Check out which places in town are throwing countdown bashes in the latest edition of The Sounds of New London.
4. Have something you want to write about? You’re welcome to it. Head to this page to find out more about submitting blogs to the site.
5. West Virginia celebrates its sesquicentennial today. President Abraham Lincoln signed a bill on this day in 1862 admitting West Virginia to the Union, an act which broke off a good portion of seceded Virginia. West Virginia was officially granted statehood on June 20, 1863.