1. Clouds in the morning disperse for a mostly sunny day with a high temperature of 64 degrees. Sunrise is 7:06 a.m., sunset is 5:59 p.m.
2. A rare Union Station art exhibit tonight as the artists who took part in the Down by the Riverside Festival will display their work at the train station until Nov. 2. An opening reception takes place tonight at 7 p.m.
3. The Eastern Connecticut Symphony Orchestra begins its 66th season tonight, playing a variety of classical pieces at the Garde Arts Center. A pre-show chat starts at 7 p.m., and the concert begins an hour later. Tickets are between $27 and $60. A portion of the proceeds from the concert will go to the Community Foundation of Eastern Connecticut to benefit local arts programs.
4. Fill The Spot runs every Saturday and looks for your ideas on some vacant storefronts and properties around New London. Let us know what you think the city needs in terms of new development.
5. As if you didn’t already know the Midwest was full of nice people, today is Sweetest Day, celebrated mostly in the Great Lakes Region. Celebrated on the third Saturday of October, it generally urges people to remember the nice things done for them and to be kind for others. Though there’s a bit of sugar in there as well; on the first Sweetest Day, 20,000 boxes of candy were distributed to the newsboys, elderly, orphans, and poor in Cleveland, Ohio.