1. The sun returns in fits and starts today, with intervals of clouds throughout the day and evening. Sunrise is 6:22 a.m., sunset is 5:40 p.m. The high temperature is 44 degrees, while the overnight low is 30 degrees.
2. Connecticut College welcomes residents to a lecture by Professor of Sociology Ronald Flores at 4 p.m. today. The subject will be the ways children of Latino immigrants are succeeding in education, and the talk will take place at the Blunt House.
3. The Monte Cristo Bookshop has been bringing in guest readers and authors, and today Mystic writer Thurman Banks reads from his novel Beyond John Dann. This event takes place at 7 p.m.
4. Both the college and bookstore have gotten a good grasp on the ability to add events to the Patch calendar. Whether it’s a local organization’s meeting or a tag sale, we’re glad to have residents post what’s going on around town. Learn more about using the events calendar here.
5. It’s the 103rd anniversary of the Wellington avalanche in Washington State. Ninety-six people were killed on this day in 1910 when two trains were caught in an avalanche on Windy Mountain.