1. A muggy day, with mostly cloudy skies and a humidity high point of 80 percent. Sunrise is 5:51 a.m., sunset is 7:56 p.m.
2. Best of luck to Amanda Clark, a 2005 graduate of who will be completing her last preliminary races at the 2012 Olympics today. Clark is competing in the women’s 470 sailing event with partner Sarah Lihan and the pair is currently in seventh place out of 20, putting them in a position to advance to the medal race between the top 10 teams.
3. advocates are letting residents know about a new effort called PlanT for the Future. For every plant purchased through this website, 50 percent of the proceeds go to Friends of Riverside. The group is hoping to raise $5,000.
4. If you’re wondering whether your morning drive to work is going to be swift and easy or stuck in gridlock, we can help you out. Head over to the Commute section for updates on traffic conditions and gas prices.
5. On this day in 1908, Wilbur Wright made his first public demonstration of the aircraft he developed with his brother, Orville. Wright flew the plane at a horse track in Le Mans, France.