1. Another pleasant day today, partly sunny with a high temperature of 71 degrees and humidity point of 55 percent. Sunrise is 6:30 a.m., sunset is 6:55 p.m.
2. The Coast Guard Band takes the stage at Leamy Hall today for a free concert. The Chamber Players will perform “September Winds” at 2 p.m.
3. The New London County Historical Society holds its annual meeting today at 4 p.m. Admission is $15 for members and $20 for non-members.
4. Want Patch to get in on a volunteer project? Visit the volunteer section to let us know what you have in mind.
5. On this day in 1961, the United States National Hurricane Research Project dropped eight canisters of silver iodide into the headwall of Hurricane Esther. This seeding seemed to reduce the deepening of the storm system and led to Project Stormfury, an unsuccessful effort to use silver iodide to weaken hurricanes.