1. Showers taper off to an overcast day today, with a high temperature of 52 degrees and low of 37 degrees. Sunrise is 7:10 a.m., sunset is 4:21 p.m.
2. The Public Library of New London’s “Shelf Aware” book club meets today at 3 p.m. The book under discussion is Wild by Cheryl Strayed. Don’t have a copy? The circulation desk has plenty to share.
3. The New London Food Pantry both distributes and collects food during its normal hours. Today, these run from 10 a.m. to noon.
4. Several businesses in New London and neighboring communities are participating in Operation Snuggle Newtown, an effort to collect stuffed animals for the children of the community affected by Friday’s school shooting. Follow the link for more information on the effort and drop-off points.
5. Jean-Baptiste Lamarck, a French scientist who developed a theory of evolution suggesting acquired traits are inherited from generation to generation, died on this day at the age of 85.