1. Mostly sunny with a high temperature of 41 degrees. Winter is more tenacious in the evening, with the temperature dropping below freezing to 29 degrees. Sunrise is 6:18 a.m., sunset is 5:43 p.m.
2. The Child and Family Agency of Southeastern Connecticut has a slew of interesting books available for its regular auction, which takes place today at 4 p.m. at the B.P. Learned Mission. Check out the agency’s event posting to see some of the works they’ve highlighted.
3. Mayor Daryl Finizio speaks to the Finance Committee about the impact of Gov. Dannel Malloy’s proposed budget on New London this evening; the meeting starts at 5:30 p.m. at City Hall and is followed at 7 p.m. by the regular City Council meeting. That agenda includes a recommendation from the Public Safety Committee on police complaints procedure in the Police-Community Relations Committee, the Parks and Recreation Commission’s support of the relocation of a playscape to Riverside Park, and an easement to Lake Konomoc as part of the city’s water sharing agreement with East Lyme.
4. I recently featured the Pics & Clips gallery to promote some beautiful landscape shots that were added there recently. It’s always great to see contributions there, and your photo or video might also get special recognition if you share it.
5. John Collins, a member of the Continental Congress and third governor of Rhode Island, died on this day in 1795 at the age of 77. Collins cast the deciding vote in the state senate to have Rhode Island call a convention to decide upon the acceptance of the Constitution.