1. A partly cloudy day today, with sunrise at 6:53 a.m. and sunset at 6:18 p.m. The high temperature reaches 59 degrees.
2. It’s Columbus Day, though if you’re like me that means you don’t get the day off. Plenty of people do, though, so leave your municipal and banking business until tomorrow.
3. Not everything is closed, of course. a lecture by Professor Margaret Bull Kovera, is open to the public. This starts at 4:30 p.m. in Bill Hall at Connecticut College.
4. Each Monday, I’ll post a summary of the past week in New London sports. See how the local schools and colleges are doing with this roundup, which goes up at 5 p.m.
5. It’s the 150th anniversary of the Battle of Perryville. The Civil War battle in the Kentucky town resulted in about 2,500 dead and 5,000 wounded and forced the Confederates to abandon attempts to occupy the border state.