1. Partly cloudy and cooler today, with a high temperature of 40 degrees. Still fairly windy, with breezes of 20 to 30 miles per hour and gusts of up to 40 miles per hour. Sunrise is 7:12 a.m., sunset is 4:23 p.m.
2. The Public Library of New London is showing The Polar Express this morning. Visit the Community Room at 11 a.m. to check out this movie based on the classic children’s book.
3. The New London Healing Arts Center praises the slow return to sunlight today. The center holds a traditional Andean ceremony today to celebrate the solstice, starting at 10 a.m.
4. You’re welcome to post your own announcements and events on Patch. Find out more about how to do so with this article.
5. On this day in 1944, the German military demanded the surrender of an encircled American force in Bastogne, Belgium, during the Battle of the Bulge in World War II. General Tony McAuliffe sent back a one-word response: “Nuts!” The encirclement of Bastogne was broken four days later.