1. The first part of the winter storm arrives today, with snow in the morning mixing with rain later in the day, reverting to heavy snow later in the evening. The temperature stays in the 30s, with a high of 36 degrees and low of 24 degrees. Winds are between 25 and 35 miles per hour. Sunrise is 6:52 a.m., sunset is 5:14 p.m.
2. The New London Fire Department goes around to shovel out fire hydrants after blizzards, but reminded residents via Twitter on Thursday that you could save them valuable time in an emergency if you do this task yourself.
3. The Public Library of New London screens a different film each Friday as part of its Black History Month film festival, but tonight’s movie has been canceled.
4. Each Friday at 5 p.m., The Sounds of New London catalogues the upcoming concerts for the week. Some Friday and Saturday shows might be up in the air due to the weather, so before venturing out give the venue call to confirm.
5. The Delaware state legislature rejected the Thirteenth Amendment, which abolished slavery, on this day in 1865. The state would not formally ratify the amendment until 1901.