1. Sunny and cold, with temperatures peaking at 42 degrees and getting down to 29 degrees in the evening. Sunrise is 6:53 a.m., sunset is 4:20 p.m.
2. The Board of Education meeting gets an early start tonight, convening at 5:30 p.m. at the Science and Technology Magnet High School for a discussion with parents as requested by the New London Parents’ Advocates. The agenda for the regular 7 p.m. meeting includes adopting elements of the strategic operating plan for New London Public Schools and sending STMHS students and faculty to Italy as part of an exchange program.
3. The Office of Development and Planning is holding an informational meeting tonight to discuss an environmental assessment of vacant land along Howard Street and Bank Street. This will take place at 6:30 p.m. at the Community Health Center.
4. New London Tube posts every Thursday and looks at an interesting aspect of the city that has appeared on YouTube. See the latest column at 5 p.m.
5. Admiral Richard E. Byrd and Bernt Balchen made the first successful flight over the South Pole on this day in 1928.