1. Sunny and mild, with a high temperature of 41 degrees and an overnight low of 34 degrees. Sunrise is 6:44 a.m., sunset is 5:22 p.m.
2. The Board of Education continues its workshops on school improvements in the New London Public Schools, meeting at 7 p.m. at the Science and Technology Magnet High School. The agenda includes a report on middle school grade configuration, high school magnet options, and a final review of strategies for the strategic operating plan.
3. Bean and Leaf holds a regular open mic poetry reading at 8 p.m. on Thursdays. Stop by to listen or read a piece of your own.
4. If you’d like to write about a topic related to New London or just something close to your heart, feel free to submit a blog to the site.
5. On this day in 1778, the United States flag received its first international recognition when French admiral Toussaint Guillaume Picquet de La Motte ordered a salute to the flag at Quiberon Bay.