1. Plenty of sunshine with mild temperatures in the extended forecast. The temperature gets up to 40 degrees and drops to 30 degrees overnight. Sunrise is 7:15 a.m., sunset is 4:35 p.m.
2. Residents are invited to share their thoughts on a pilot program to add 300 hours to the school year at several New London schools. This forum will take place at 6 p.m. at the Jennings School.
3. The City Council meets tonight, with items including a decision on whether to permit a cell tower at Bates Woods Park and starting the process of setting up a gun buyback program. The meeting starts at 7 p.m. and is preceded by the Economic Development Committee, which meets at 6 p.m. and includes a report by a marketing sub-group.
4. See how New London’s schools and colleges are stacking up in athletics, and when they’ll play next, with the New London Sports Roundup. This posts every Monday at 5 p.m.
5. CQD, an early distress call developed for radio, was first announced on this day in 1904; it went into use on Feb. 1 of that year. The use of CQ indicated a message of interest to all stations, while the D stood for distress.