1. A bit of a bump in the temperature, as things warm up to 63 degrees. The day is partly cloudy, with sunrise at 6:55 a.m. and sunset at 6:14 p.m.
2. Bruce Cummings, the president and CEO of Lawrence & Memorial Hospital, is the guest speaker at a free informal networking event sponsored by the Chamber of Commerce of Eastern Connecticut. This is taking place at 8 a.m. at Raymour & Flanigan Furniture in Waterford. Space is limited, but you might still be able to get a spot.
3. Who doesn’t love a good spooky Halloween tale? The children’s story hour focuses on scary stories today, and starts at 4:30 p.m. at the Public Library of New London.
4. Although the recent This Week in New London columns have been my own selections, New London Main Street tells me that they’re resuming their former routine of sending out a newsletter on Wednesday morning. This partnership, which highlights some noteworthy things to do in the coming week, posts at 3 p.m.
5. It’s Fiji Day, or the island nation’s independence day. Fiji, formerly a British colony, became a sovereign nation in 1970.