1. What's left of Hurricane Sandy sticks around for awhile as there's a good chance of clouds and showers today with winds up to 20 miles per hour. Precipitation peters out in the later hours. Sunrise is 7:19 a.m., sunset is 5:44 p.m.
2. The recovery from the storm continues as all city offices will be open as usual today. Residents may bring storm debris to the transfer station for free through Friday. New London does not have official trick-or-treating times, but the mayor's office encourages people to have their children accompanied by an adult and avoid streets that remain without power.
3. It looks like the final Field of Greens Farmers Market of the season will likely be going forward. This will run from noon to 4 p.m. at Lawrence & Memorial Hospital, and might be the best opportunity to get a fresh pumpkin for Halloween.
4. I’m looking to resume regular features today. Wednesdays mean This Week in New London, a partnership with New London Main Street to highlight some of the interesting events coming up in the next week. This column posts at 3 p.m.
5. The magician Harry Houdini died on this day in 1926 at the age of 52 due to an infection caused by a burst appendix. This condition came about after a man punched Houdini in the stomach several times after Houdini demonstrated his ability to withstand punches by tightening his stomach muscles.