1. A flurry or two is possible, but it's more likely to be a mostly sunny day with a high of 27 degrees and overnight low of 13. Sunrise is 7:05 a.m. and sunset is 4:57 p.m.
2. The Hygienic XXXIV events start in force today. If you’re looking to submit a piece to the Salon des Independents, I hope you’re reading this pretty early. Hygienic Art starts accepting pieces at 8 a.m., and the line starts forming pretty quickly. You can stop in to put up your work from then until 6 p.m., and the official show opening is 8 p.m. The young artists’ show opens earlier, with a reception from noon to 4 p.m. at the Garde Arts Center gallery.
3. The other Hygienic XXXIV things starting at 8 p.m. include the fun and games of the Ice Carnival at Hygienic Art Park and the Cabaret Extraordinaire at 33 Golden.
4. This event also brings in a lot of music, including the Rock Fix at the Crocker House Ballroom. Get more information on this show and other concerts in the latest column of The Sounds of New London.
5. Juan Pablo Duarte y Diaz, a leader in the Dominican Republic’s fight for independence from Haiti, was born on this day in 1813. He died in 1876 at the age of 63.