1. The overnight temperatures are reaching frost levels, with a low of 34 degrees. Things only warm up a few notches on the thermometer during a partly cloudy day, reaching a high of 55 degrees. Sunrise is 6:57 a.m., sunset is 6:11 p.m.
2. I’m going to give a shout-out to former Montville Patch editor Carrie Jacobson, who went off a few months ago to pursue her dream of being a full-time artist in Virginia. She’s back in the area for a show tonight, debuting a show at the Gallery at Lighthouse in Groton from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.
3. Friday Night Folk’s guest musician tonight is Gordon Bok, with Willoughby Gap opening. The musicians specialize in bluegrass and traditional maritime songs, and the concert starts at 7:30 p.m. at All Souls Unitarian Universalist Congregation. Admission is $23 at the door, $20 in advance, or $10 for students with ID.
4. Wondering what other bands are playing in the coming week? Check out The Sounds of New London, a roundup of the music scene, posting every Friday at 5 p.m.
5. Edith Cavell, an English nurse, was executed by a German firing squad on this day in 1915 on charges of helping captured Allied soldiers escape occupied Belgium during World War I. Cavell, who was 49 years old, said before her death, “Patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness for anyone.”