1. Here's hoping this forecast doesn't deter the fireworks tonight. There's a 60 percent chance that scattered thunderstorms, possibly severe, will arrive in the evening. The day is partly cloudy with a high temperature of 87 degrees and humidity of 66 percent. Sunrise is 5:23 a.m., sunset is 8:24 p.m.
2. The meatiest parts of OpSail 2012 and Sailfest arrive in New London today. The Parade of Sail is set to round Ledge Light at 10 a.m., and ships will be open to tours once they make port. A major fireworks display will go up over the Thames River at 9 p.m. In the meantime, browse through downtown to check out the vendors and performers!
3. We’ve already posted information on and , and included the live entertainment in latest column of . Follow these links if you need a refresher.
4. We’re going to forgo Fill The Spot today as we wait for input from the city on . There’s still time to weigh in if you’d like to share your ideas!
5. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, a Scottish writer perhaps best known for his Sherlock Holmes stories, died on this day in 1930. He was 71 years old.