1. Mostly sunny and somewhat mild, with a high temperature of 45 degrees and an overnight low just getting to the freezing point. Sunrise is 7:06 a.m., sunset is 4:19 p.m.
2. The Board of Education’s regular meeting and a couple of special meetings are taking place tonight. The board holds a discussion with parents of students in the New London Public Schools at 5:30 p.m. at the Science and Technology Magnet High School. This will be followed by the election of officers at 7 p.m. and a workshop at 7:30 p.m. on goals and strategies of the strategic operating plan.
3. The Pacific Street Art Gallery holds an open house tonight from 4 p.m. to 9 p.m. Visit to enjoy refreshments and a display of artwork created by artists in the Pacific Street Artists Guild.
4. Boulder climbing in New London? It’s not out of the question. Check out New London Tube at 5 p.m. to see an example of this activity.
5. Today marks the anniversary of the first ovariotomy in 1809. Dr. Ephraim McDowell successfully removed a 22-pound benign ovarian tumor from 45-year-old Jane Todd Crawford at his Kentucky surgical practice.