1. Sunshine through today except for a few clouds in the afternoon, and a high temperature of 84 degrees with 59 percent humidity. Sunrise is 5:22 a.m., sunset is 8:24 p.m.
2. A couple of neighboring sites are having openings for exhibits celebrating the War of 1812 bicentennial tonight. The welcomes visitors to check out exhibits on the war, boating, and author Sgott MacKenzie, while debuts an exhibit of . Both shows start at 5 p.m., with the Custom House running until 8 p.m. and Studio 33 until 7 p.m.
3. is also having an art opening tonight. The art of painter and astrophysicist Edward Belbruno will be up until August 4. Stop in at 6 p.m. for an artist lecture or between 7 p.m. and 10 p.m. for the reception.
4. It’s always interesting to peruse the enlightening, bizarre, and otherwise interesting scenes that show up on YouTube from around New London. We do a weekly feature on an upload from the Whaling City in , posting at 5 p.m. on Thursdays.
5. A bit of an exclusive holiday happens today. Tynwald Day is celebrated on the Isle of Man, located in the Irish Sea, to recognize the history of the island’s governance.