1. Another burst of warmth today as the high temperature reaches 59 degrees on a sunny day. The day length is down to 10 hours, with sunrise at 6:32 a.m. and sunset at 4:32 p.m.
2. Originals and Traditions, a monthly new open mic at Captain’s Pizza, runs from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. tonight. Bernadette Golden and Larry Kern host this event, which allows residents to perform and wraps up with a featured musician. This month, Ben Parent of The Rivergods performs.
3. Bean and Leaf teams up with local organizations for a new weekly program offered on Sundays at 6 p.m. Hula hoop dance, flying yoga, and circus arts are offered at Star Pattern CircUs tonight.
4. I wrote up some thoughts on the election on Monday and held them off until today. The Skrimshander Articles, a weekly slice-of-life column, posts at noon today.
5. Four men convicted of the Haymarket Square bombing in Chicago in 1886, part of a clash between police and strikers, were hanged on this day in 1887. Another defendant committed suicide before his scheduled execution, and three other men were sentenced to prison terms and later pardoned.