1. Another mild day, with a high temperature of 48 degrees; nicer skies as well, with sun and a few clouds. The overnight low falls to the freezing point. Sunrise is 7:03 a.m., sunset is 6:53 p.m.
2. Municipal historian Sally Ryan’s lecture series on New London’s past continues today at the Public Library of New London. Call ahead to register and show up at 1 p.m. to learn more about the days of yesteryear on the Thames.
3. The Elks Lodge holds their Irish Night with a corned beef and cabbage dinner running from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. It’s $8 for adults and $4 for children, and takeout is available if you’re in a rush.
4. Check out some of the events coming up today through Tuesday with This Week in New London, a partnership with New London Main Street. This posts at 3 p.m. on Wednesdays.
5. Harvard College officially got its name today in 1639. The Massachusetts school was named for clergyman John Harvard. Prior to this decision, the campus was known simply as New School.