1. A sunny day with a high temperature of 79 degrees and humidity point at 53 percent. Sunrise is 6:13 a.m., sunset is 7:24 p.m.
2. celebrates the reopening of its nearly 100-year-old science building today. has gone through a number of renovations, including the addition of a geothermal system on Tempel Green. New and returning students will get a look inside at about 5:30 p.m. today following convocation.
3. DonnaMarie, a Groton author, signs copies of her debut novel today from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. at . is based in the Groton and Mystic area.
4. What was the music scene like during the Civil War? Rick Spencer illustrates some of the most popular tunes from this period in history with a presentation at the . This event takes place at 7 p.m. at the conference center.
5. Sister cities from the opposite sides of the globe? Today is the founding date for both Houston, Tx. and Melbourne, Australia. Melbourne was founded in 1835, and Houston followed a year later.