1. Partly cloudy and windy, with gusts getting up to 35 miles per hour. Sunrise is 7:10 a.m., sunset is 4:49 p.m. The high temperature reaches 44 degrees while the low drops to 37.
2. A collection of backpacks and healthy snacks is taking place today at the Madry Temple Church. The backpacks will be donated to local schoolchildren, while the snacks will be given to the Gemma E. Moran United Way Labor Food Center. Stop by between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m.
3. The Kente Cultural Center invites children ages three to eight to learn about Martin Luther King Jr. today. This event starts at 3 p.m. and includes arts and craft, storytelling, and more.
4. What are your ideas for new businesses in New London? Fill the Spot asks for your thoughts on vacant spaces in the city. Today’s spot posts at noon.
5. On this day in 1977, President Gerald Ford pardoned Iva Toguri, better known as “Tokyo Rose.” Toguri, who was born in the United States, was the voice of numerous Japanese propaganda broadcasts during World War II. Charged with treason after the war, she was convicted of a lesser charge and served eight years in prison.