1. Warm temperatures stick around with a partly cloudy day and a high of 55 degrees. Sunrise is 6:57 a.m., sunset is 4:19 p.m.
2. The City Council meets tonight at 7 p.m. at City Hall to elect a council president and president pro tempore. The regular agenda includes a proposed Bates Woods Park cell phone tower, emergency roof repairs at Bennie Dover Jackson Middle School, and items forwarded from the 5:30 p.m. Administration Committee meeting and 6 p.m. Economic Development Committee meeting.
3. The Public Library of New London recently added a number of events to our calendar, including a session today on downloading e-books. This starts at 5:30 p.m. in the library’s Community Room.
4. You can add your own events to the calendar as well. Head to the main events page, click “Add an event,” and fill out the information on place, date, time, and what’s going on.
5. The Mars Polar Lander was lost on this day in 1999. The spacecraft, which had a mission of exploring the south pole region of the Red Planet, was presumed lost after NASA failed to reestablish contact after the anticipated landing.