1. A pleasant day today, with mostly sunny skies and a high temperature of 44 degrees. Evenings still drop below freezing, with partly cloudy conditions and a low of 30 degrees. Sunrise is 6:21 a.m., sunset is 5:41 p.m.
2. Your Girl Scout cookies are arriving today! Well, in New London anyway. The organization is offloading more than two million boxes of the goodies at Ocean Beach Park from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. today.
3. The Skate For Babies benefit for the March of Dimes runs from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. tonight at Connecticut College’s Dayton Arena. Admission is $10 for adults and $5 for children, with an additional $5 for skate rentals.
4. Fill The Spot, the Saturday feature seeking your ideas for vacant spots around New London, will post at noon today. Today’s space is a Bank Street venue that was formerly a nostalgia store and cycle shop.
5. Peter Straub, a horror writer who has won numerous Bram Stoker Awards and collaborated with Stephen King on The Talisman and Black House, turns 70 today.