1. An overcast day today with a chance of showers in the evening, with a spike of warmth as the temperature gets up to 55 degrees. Sunrise is 6:56 a.m., sunset is 4:19 p.m.
2. The Garde Arts Center holds a Holiday Christmas Extravaganza today at 3 p.m. The afternoon of song and dance will benefit the Tommy Toy Fund of the Norwich Bulletin. Tickets are $25.
3. For the 31st year, Connecticut College is recognizing the approaching solstice with their “We Make Joy” potpourri of entertainment. Performances run at 4 p.m. and 7 p.m. at the Harkness Chapel. Both are free but donations are collected at the door.
4. What are the odds? I take a look at what it would have taken to win the Powerball jackpot in my weekly column, The Skrimshander Articles, posting at noon today.
5. La Guardia Airport in New York City turns 73 today. Named for Mayor Fiorello La Guardia, the airport facilities officially opened in October of 1939 but the first flight—a TWA DC-3 from Chicago—didn’t arrive until this day in that year.