1. Summer's reaching that faltering point, but the midday temperatures are still pleasant. Sunshine today with a high of 76 degrees and humidity at 60 percent. Sunrise is 6:26 a.m., sunset is 7:02 p.m.
2. District One was one of the voting districts in the state selected for an audit of the . The public audit is taking place today to ensure the accuracy of the optical scan voting machines. If you want to take a look at this process, stop by the at 10 a.m.
3. It’s the second to last evening for the ’s “Summer Flickers” series. Cinema Paradiso airs at 8 p.m.
4. Looking for something to do in the next week? a partnership with , posts every Wednesday at 3 p.m. to summarize some of the most interesting events coming up in the city.
5. The S.S. Central America, laden with a fortune of Californian gold, sank in a storm off the North Carolina coast on this day in 1857 with a loss of 425 lives. The wreck of the ship and its treasure were discovered in 1987, just a day before the 130th anniversary of the disaster.