1. Chilly today but no overnight frost, with a high of 44 degrees and low of 37 degrees. Mostly sunny with clouds in the evening. Sunrise is 6:26 a.m., sunset is 4:37 p.m.
2. The City Council agenda tonight includes a memo from the city clerk on a renewed petition effort on the 2013 budget, a final vote on a $6.5 million bond issue for a Lake Konomoc intake pump station, and the actions of the Finance Committee. That committee meets at 5 p.m. and is followed by the Administration Committee at 6:45 p.m.
3. The Public Library of New London is holding a children’s arts and crafts activity this afternoon. This event runs from 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
4. All right, after last week’s hurricane I’m ready to try again for a resumption of local sports roundups. These post at 5 p.m. on Mondays.
5. A plane dropped five bombs on Vatican City on this day in 1943. Four of the bombs exploded but caused no injuries or damage to St. Peter’s Cathedral. Responsibility of the attack against the neutral city-state remained unclear until recent research pinned the blame on Italian Fascists trying to take out a radio station.