1. A partly cloudy and cooler day with a slight chance of an afternoon shower. Sunrise is 6:16 a.m., sunset is 7:19 p.m. The high temperature reaches 73 degrees, while humidity gets up to 64 percent.
2. Last chance to check out the , if you can get to the waterfront and find tickets are still available. Tours of the New London Harbor Light depart the at 11 a.m., 1:30 p.m., and 4 p.m. and cost $35 for adults and $30 for seniors and children ages six to 12. Tours around the harbor to get a closer look at Harbor Light, Ledge Light, and Avery Point Light depart at 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. and have the same charge.
3. How often do you get to see the Coast Guard Band perform at ? This afternoon is definitely one to check out, as they play a free concert of classical music. The show starts at 3 p.m.
4. ranges from slice of life to travelogue to editorial, but today it’s just a reflection on the way someone can inspire you. This column posts at noon.
5. J.R.R. Tolkein, the English author of The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings trilogy, died on this day in 1973. He was 81.