1. Overcast and mild today, with a high temperature of 56 degrees. Sunrise is at 6:58 a.m., sunset at 4:19 p.m.
2. Gov. Dannel Malloy and Commissioner of Education Stefan Pryor will meet with Superintendent Nicholas Fischer and other officials from the New London Public Schools today to discuss a plan to add 300 hours of learning time to the district’s 2013-2014 academic calendar. I’ll be on hand to cover this meeting, which will start at 11 a.m. at the Winthrop School.
3. The first round of auditions for the third annual New London Youth Talent Show will kick off tonight at the New London High School auditorium. Anyone in New London between the ages of 10 and 25 can show their stuff between 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.
4. An invasion of New London to launch an invasion of New York City? Hidden German transmitters above the Navy base? A visiting U-boat full of valuables? World War I was a crazy time. Find out more about this period in the city’s history and an item related to it in this week’s eBay Tuesday, posting at 5 p.m.
5. The National Grange has its origins on this day. Seven men, led by former Minnesota farmer Oliver Hudson Kelley, established the organization in 1867 to boost the political influence of western farmers.