1. Mostly sunny with some periods of scattered clouds today, with a high temperature of 79 degrees and humidity topping out at 79 percent. Sunrise is 6:21 a.m., sunset is 7:11 p.m.
2. The eighth annual starts tonight at 7 p.m. at and runs until 11 p.m. For $20 (or $15 if you’re a student, senior, or member of the military) you can check out the music, dancing, food, raffles, and more. All proceeds benefit the and .
3. Usually I can count on the for something to fill in a slow day, but it looks like Fridays are a bit slow for them as well. At any rate, you should definitely come up with a clever bookish pun to pitch to them. They’ve been putting these on the marquee board out front, much to the amusement of patrons.
4. On Thursday, I ran into a person who has submitted blogs to the site. He was quite happy to have the opportunity, and I think you might like it as well. Go to the Local Voices section to learn more about submitting these entries.
5. Brazil celebrates its Independence Day today, recognizing the day in 1822 when the Portuguese prince regent declared the country independent from his home country.