1. Mild snow showers continue before noon, with continuing clouds clearing in the evening. Sunrise is 6:54 a.m., sunset is 5:11 p.m. The temperature reaches 39 degrees and falls to 20 degrees overnight.
2. Lawrence & Memorial Hospital invites residents to “Take Charge of Your Heart Health” with a 5:30 p.m. program tonight. Focusing on women ages 40 to 60, the event discusses nutrition, exercise, and other factors. It’s free, but call ahead to reserve a spot.
3. The Parks and Recreation Commission meets on the first Wednesday of each month, which means they’re getting together tonight to discuss any and all issues regarding New London’s parks and playgrounds. The meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. at the Senior Center.
4. A couple of recent submissions to the Pics & Clips gallery are a dog in a snowstorm and the Martin Luther King Jr. Day march. All users are welcome to share their own photos and videos from around town in this section.
5. It’s Waitangi Day in New Zealand, celebrating the 1840 signing of the Treaty of Waitangi. This treaty, signed between the British Crown and over 500 Maori chiefs, is the founding document of the island nation.